Saturday, April 25, 2009

(Plans) Idita-Summer Camp -- Wasilla AK

Didja know that Jill has followed the Iditarod Sled Dog Race (held yearly in Alaska--from Anchorage to Nome) for YEARS?? Yep, ask some of my kids who were forced to learn about this race and follow it as part of home-school curriculum!

Seeing the start of this race AND its finish 9+ days later in Nome AK is in my "book of dreams" (things I would like to do sometime in my life...) That may still be a long time before it happens, but I've found the next best thing:

I discovered this year that the Iditarod Committee holds a 9 day summer camp for educators. The purpose is to give hands-on experience and special speakers to cover many aspects of the race. We will also visit some museums in Anchorage and will write our own lesson plans to share with each other. I'm SO EXCITED!!

To see the tentative schedule of what will be covered during the camp: http://iditarodblogs.com/teachers/2009/04/08/2009-summer-camp-for-teachers/

To learn more about this race: www.iditarod.com

PS: anyone who might be inclined to give me a birthday gift (May 27th) could send money to Randy toward the cost of this camp instead!! (It's not cheap...but it certainly is a dream-come-true!)

No comments:

Post a Comment